Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday Five from RevGalBlogPals

Friday 5- de-cluttering edition.

Posted by Sally

With Jo, Jon and Chris all moving to college and University accommodation there has been a big clear up going on in the Coleman household. We have been sorting and trying hard not just to junk stuff, but actually to get it to where it can be useful. On a brighter note we have used Freecycle ( check it out) to provide the twins with pots and pans etc that other folk were clearing out.

Making the most of our resources is important, I have been challenged this week by the amount of stuff we accumulate, I'd love to live a simpler lifestyle, it would be good for me, and for the environment I think...

With that in mind I bring you this Friday 5;

1. Are you a hoarder or a minimalist? I have to admit I qualify as a hoarder with occasional showers of minimalist that dissipate fairly quickly.

2. Name one important object ( could be an heirloom) that you will never part with. How is an admitted hoarder supposed to pick ONE item??? My autographed copy of "The Bunnies and Beagles shall lie down together" by Charles Schultz (because I can't replace it).

3. What is the oldest item in your closet? Does it still fit??? Ironically, I took several suits, pants, and jeans to the resale store that supports a local ministry yesterday! However, I still have two t-shirts from the basketball camp I attended the summer after eighth grade. One of them was huge on me when I got it but was the only size of that shirt they had. I can still wear it. I also have the shirt with the name of the camp. I wore it a lot. I had it on when I found out my dad had died. So even though I can't wear it, it stays in the bottom of a dresser drawer. I also have two pairs of Wigwam tube socks that I wore for basketball. Amazingly, they have not worn out and while the elastic tops are loose enough to fall down when I walk, they are perfect for sleeping in when my feet are cold.

4.Yard sales- love 'em or hate 'em ? I hate going to them and I hate having them. Two years ago, it was apparent that a yard sale was a necessary evil. We made about $380 but more importantly did not pack or move the stuff that sold.

5. Name a recycling habit you really want to get into. We live in an area where recycling is a fairly easy curbside version. When we lived in the country, recycling was very hard so we didn't do it. One thing we don't do that we could do is use our own cloth bags for groceries instead of whatever the store uses.

And for a bonus- well anything you want to add.... I wish it was easier to recycle computer parts around here. And, I tried to join freecycle but they turned me down. I never got a response about why.

No comments:

Site Meter