Wednesday, January 17, 2007

3 to go

I have officialy begun the last 2 of 3 classes before dissertation. Tonight was Grief and Bereveament. I'm the only doc student but there's no extra work!

Did you know that Kubler-Ross's 5 stages were actually for when you find out you are dying not about someone else dying? They are the stages of dying not the stages of mourning. (Seriously, I read her original stuff to check this.) We're using Worden's Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy that has the four tasks of the mourning process: 1) to accept the reality of the loss; 2) to work through the pain of grief; 3) to adjust to an environment in which the deceased is missing; and, 4) to emotionally relocate the deceased and move on with life.

After reading Worden's explanations, his tasks make so much sense to me compared to my own observations with families who are grieving. This seems to be a class with direct application.

Of course, there's my own grief that I'm sure I'll get to deal with. Ironically, the class wrap up will happen on the 25th anniversary of my father's death.

No comments:

Site Meter