Saturday, September 09, 2006

too big or not too big

I just dropped SportsQueen off to catch the bus to the Jr High volleyball tournament that is 3 miles from her school. We live between the two schools but coach wanted everyone to ride the bus to the tournament. Duh! If I were a Jr High coach, I would too.

SportsQueen is at the point of life where her almost constant desire is to stand next to her mother saying variations on "look how tall I am." I suspect that before she becomes an "official" teenagers the height battle will have been lost by this one who gave her birth.

Last night, she fell asleep in my bed watching TV. I went to bed quite late and there she was. I tried to wake her enough to find out if she really wanted to sleep in her bed and ended up getting her awake enough to move over. Good enough.

I distinctly remember our pediatrician (who I think is wonderful) firmly instructing against children sleeping with parents. Okay, so I understand the reasoning, I just disagree with the absolute position. I have no intention of sleeping, or not really sleeping as the case really is, with my child or children on a regular basis. But I'm also not going to adamantly demand to sleep alone when I have a child that needs some snuggle time.

SportsQueen really likes sleeping spread out all over her bed and rarely sleeps with me. But, truth: I love that she still wants the affection and nurture of her mother even as she moves into that space of creating her independence.

Even when she's bigger than I am, she won't be too big to snuggle with momma.

No comments:

Site Meter