Friday, September 15, 2006

Brushes with Greatness Friday Five From RevGalBlogPals

David Letterman used to have a feature on his show called "Brushes with Greatness." Members of the audience would share stories of encounters with famous people. And so...

1. Tell us about a time you met someone famous.

I once stood next to Troy Aikman waiting to be seated at a restaurant. On the same day, I shook hands with Kay Bailey Hutchison and Jimmy Carter. For church circle famous: I've met Will Willimon, Fred Craddock, Walter Brueggeman, and Brian Wren. And Building 429 had a concert at our church where they signed autographs and talked to everyone who wanted to talk.

2. Tell us about a celebrity you'd like to meet.

Diane Rheam, J. K. Rowling, and Madeline Albright.

3. Tell us about someone great who's *not* famous that you think everyone oughta have a chance to meet.

Sr Mary Irene Nowell -- she wrote the commentary for Tobit in the New Interpreter's Bible and was my first college Bible professor at Benedictine College.

When, with fear and trembling, I went to her office and told her that maybe instead of becoming a Medical Doctor, maybe, maybe, God was calling me, her response was, "Well It's about time you figured it out!" She helped me stretch and grow in ways I didn't know until much later. I regularly use some of her examples even to this day. You can read her vocation story here.


4. Do you have any autographs of famous people?

Steve Largent, Kenny Loggins, Charles Schultz, Brian Wren, Andre Reed, all 4 guys from Building 429

5. If you were to become famous, what would you want to become famous for?
S
If I'm gonna be famous: first clergywoman pastor of a megachurch in the South

Bonus: Whose 15 minutes of fame was up long, long ago?
Tom Cruise. I used to love him but now ... shut up already

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Boy you know some famous people. Even my Bishop.
Hey I bet you make it to being the first clergywoman pastor of a megachurch in the South.

I am with you on Tom Cruise. What a dissapointment and a jerk, You would think becoming a parent would make him better, but no.

Site Meter