Saturday, August 12, 2006

fruity friday five

I suppose if I'm to have a blog I should write something so...

the RevGalPals friday five is below

Well, those of us in the United States are on high alert for air travel. Thank heaven, it appears that a huge disaster has been averted. Meanwhile, dreadful conflicts continue in the Middle East and around the world. We here at RGBP certainly hope and pray for safety, peace and fullness of life for all the peoples of the world.

Galatians 5 describes the fruit of the Spirit. With all the sadness and despair out there, we certainly need it! So, the Friday Five is simple. Pick any five of the following attributes and go wherever the Spirit leads you... your choice! Suggestions: When have you experienced this attribute? When have you struggled with it? Or who embodies it for you?

Or if you're feeling light-hearted--just assign a fruit to each one. I think Generosity is a Banana, don't you?

Love
Joy
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Generosity
Faithfulness
Gentleness
Self-control

Kindness - There are a lot of things I learned from my dad. Not by words, by example. I learned all of the colors of our skin are gifts from God wrapping a precious child of God. I remember my dad taking me to the hospital to visit someone. In that visit, I learned compassion and kindness.

Patience - As we move closer to the first day of school, I am thankful for all the patience that inhabits those buildings of education. My children are very different and have been blessed with educators who are embodiments of patience; teaching them what they aren't likely to learn watching their mother.

Peace - I have been amazed at the places I have encountered peace - like standing in the doorway of death. Places were one expects fear or anxiety, and yet, there is that deep palpable peace that passes understanding.

Gentleness - I deeply appreciate the gentleness of the hospital staff in the children's hospital and nurses in labor and delivery who help the family deal with a baby who is not okay or even not alive.

generosity - in my first pastorate I had a couple that were very poor. they always gave 10% of their government checks to the church. their hearts were so warm and welcoming, they gave because they believed they were blessed. and they were

Now to figure out how to link on the RevGalPals ...

No comments:

Site Meter