Friday, August 25, 2006

Back to School Friday Five

Back to School Friday Five

From the RevGalPalsBlog:

1. What is your earliest memory of school? That would be playing "Daktari" during inside recess. I had never seen the show but I caught on quick that everyone wanted to be the monkey.

2. Who was a favorite teacher in your early education? Mrs. Stanley, Kindergarten teacher. In first grade, I got in trouble for going back to her class every morning to say "hi."

3. What do you remember about school “back then” that is different from what you know about schools now? I hardly ever had any homework in elementary school. Both my kids have had some serious homework in elementary.

4. Did you have to memorize in school? If so, share a poem or song you learned. In another area not often seen today; I learned the spiritual "Wade in the Water" in 6th grade music. The teacher explained the Bible verse the refrain was based on and everything.

Refrain:
Wade in the Water
Wade in the Water, children
wade in the Wate
God's gonna trouble the Water

Who's that yonder dressed in red
Wade in the Water
Must be the Children that Moses led
And God's gonna trouble the Water

Refrain

Who's that yonder dressed in white
Wade in the Water
Must be the Children of the Israelites
God's gonna trouble the Water

Refrain

Who's that yonder dressed in blue
Wade in the Water
Must be Children coming through
And God's gonna trouble the Water

Refrain

If you don't believe I've been redeemed
Wade in the Water
Just see the holy ghost looking for me
God's gonna trouble the Water

5. Did you ever get in trouble at school? Other than the first grade "visitation" issue, I never got caught. Were there any embarrassing moments you can share? 7th grade basketball. Dribbling down court all alone, one lone defensive player standing just across half court line - in my way. I lowered my shoulder, ran over her, earned offensive foul, immediately pulled from game, sat on bench for the remaining 3 quarters. At least, I didn't score for the other team like my friend did.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Anything with a ball had the potential for embarassment in my experience!
Thanks for playing.

Unknown said...

What a play. I would have done the same thing. and you know wade in the water.

Anonymous said...

In my elementary school we sang "Rock a my soul in the bosom of Abraham," which of course was the cause for MUCH giggling.

Site Meter