Friday, September 03, 2010

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five: Storms of Life Edition



As posted by Martha Hoverson


I'm listening this morning for word of Hurricane Earl. Is he coming to visit, or will he bypass my part of Maine and move further Downeast, or veer toward Nova Scotia? Should I buy those bottles of water, just in case wind brings branches and power lines down? And how many times will the tracking map change today?

Herewith, a Friday Five about the storms of life:

1) What's the most common kind of storm in your neck of the woods?

I have two girls ages 16 and 13. It is an understatement to say the drama of adolescence is the most common kind of storm both in my neck and other body parts.

But if you want to know about the weather ...

Everywhere I have lived, I have lived in "Tornado Alley." That means thunderstorms with high winds, hail, and enough rain to cause significant flooding. And in the winter, ice storms are the major threat.


2) When was the last time you dealt with a significant power outage?

The last significant power outage was experienced at my sister's house (also in tornado alley but in a different state where I have never lived). It was summer and she had maybe one flashlight but a billion candles. So we lit candles. And remembered that candles have fire which give off heat. And we created our own indoor heatwave.

The time before that was an outage of more than 3 days when the 16 yo was 1 and there was no 13 yo. That was quite an adventure! The storm still makes the news when they are talking about the "worst" ones in this area.

3) Are you prepared for the next one?

Other than having multiple gallons of water on hand, as prepared as we could be in advance.

Wait, I take that back. All of my tools and tarps and ladders are still at the church after being borrowed for the last worktrip. I probably should get those home.

4) What's the weather forecast where you are this weekend?








5) How do you calm your personal storms?

With as many friends and fun things to do as possible! ... or if I can't make that work, burying myself in a book only coming up for enough food and drink to carry me through the next chapter.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to say that any storm in any place is a good reason to make that cake.

Rev Dr Mom said...

I remember the 13 & 16 yo storms!! Take cover!

I think tornadoes are one of the sacriest kinds of storm!

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

loving your opening remarks ! had me laughing right off the top :)
creating the heat wave with candles and including weather forecast images !
fun ~ thanks for posting!

revhipchick said...

i hear ya on the teen girl dramastorms! we have those too! currently mine are 15, 12, and 9, but 16 and 13 will come soon enough!

it's funny but i've loved growing up in tornado alley. but we were lucky, we'd lose a car, have some damage to the house from time to time but that was it. tornados have fascinated me as long as i can remember.


love ya!

Site Meter