Saturday, April 12, 2008

Friday Five: Moving

The RevGalBlogPals friday five as posted by Mother Laura

We are right in the middle of a move--only twenty minutes away, but we're still a mix of busy, excited, nervous and surprisingly full of grief about what we're leaving, for me at least. So this week's Friday Five asks about your experience of the marvels and madness of moving...

1. How many times have you moved? When was the last time?

20 (I think), the last time was June 2005

2. What do you love and hate about moving?

Since 1998 I have lived in parsonages with varying amounts and kinds of furniture. I hate packing, unpacking, taking things out of the place they belong, and trying to figure out where the next place to belong is.

3. Do you do it yourself or hire movers?

As a single mom with Arthritis, I beg for all the packing help I can get and have movers transport all the stuff.

4. Advice for surviving and thriving during a move?

Start getting rid of "stuff" as soon as you know you're moving. For the last move, we were in the perfect location for a garage sale. I hate garage sales but it was a really good idea (after the move was "public") and the money went for GameCube! That made it almost worth the hassle.

And, as much as practical, pack your dishes in your clean towels. Then your kitchen unpacking cleanup is not as bad and the bathroom and kitchen are being unpacked simultaneously.

5. Are you in the middle of any inner moves, if not outer ones?

The inner moves are hard to blog but have lots to do with realizing how isolated I had become and moving toward the love and support I find with other trusted people. I figured that out on the aft deck -- and I hope you won't mind if I call you.

Bonus: Share a piece of music/poetry/film/book that expresses something about what moving means to you.

sad to say the very first thing that came to mind was (probably because of the circumstances related to the last two moves): "Take this job and shove it, I ain't working here no more" but as the old joke goes the current hymn is: "I shall not be moved"

3 comments:

DogBlogger said...

Great play! Nice bonus answer, especially. Good dichotomy.

And heck, yeah, you can call me.

Ruby said...

Call me anytime. The aft deck magic lives on.

Mary Beth said...

Please DO call me. Hearing from you the other day saved my neck!

thanks!

Site Meter