Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Entertainer's favorite "Mom and nephew" story

The week before Thanksgiving, my brother in law had training at a location close to our house. So my sister decided that she would rather travel half a day to stay with us for 6 days instead of being home alone with a 3 1/2 yr old and a 5 week old. That was terrific even with the sleep deprivation that comes with a 5 week old in the house. I cleared my calendar as much as possible, went to the office occasionally, made hospital calls, but was mostly at the house. I told the secretary that I was holding a baby and to call if she needed me. When the Nephew whimpered, I held him and rocked him. I did everything but feed him. I stayed up late and stalled him when he thought he was hungry so my sister could get a few more minutes of sleep. We bonded. Then they went home.

Two days later, on the last day of school before Thanksgiving, after piano lessons, we traveled to their house for Thanksgiving/Christmas with the family. The grandparents (my mom and step-dad) arrived on Saturday. My Sister had just fed the Nephew and handed him over to Grandma to be burped and held so Sister could "get stuff done." After less than five minutes, the Nephew starts to fuss. Grandma cannot settle him and says, "Do you need your momma? Are you getting hungry?" Less than patient sister responds, "NO! I just fed him! That's why I gave him to you!" So I jumped in, "Here, give him to me."

I was sitting in a rocking chair just in reach of the couch where Grandma was sitting. I leaned over, she put him in my hands, he stopped crying immediately. Sister says, "What did you do?" With arms still stretched out, I held him up and said, "This."

She said, "He loves his Auntie Vicar." Meanwhile, the Entertainer and the SportsQueen fell on the floor laughing because Grandma couldn't calm him and all I did was get him in my hands, not even "tucked in," and he stopped.

The Entertainer continues to relive the moment by telling the story complete with arms held out saying, "This." Yes, we were all there. She tells us the story anyway. "This." giggle, giggle, giggle...

No comments:

Site Meter