Friday, August 17, 2007

Friday Five from RevGalBlogPals

Friday Five: Word Association, Redux

posted by Reverendmother

This one is patterned off an old Friday Five written by Songbird, our Friday Five Creator Emerita:

Below you will find five words. Tell us the first thing you think of on reading each one. Your response might be simply another word, or it might be a sentence, a poem or a story.

1. vineyard I am reminded of a fabulous sermon by Bishop Janice Riggle Huie at the United Methodist General Conference of 2000. I watched her sermon via streaming video on a dialup connection that kept going down but the sermon captured my attention so thoroughly that I reconnected repeatedly until the end.

2. root "being rooted and grounded in faith" from Ephesians 3, very often the benediction I use for funerals.

3. rescue For rescue, I'm reminded of the guy who was waiting for God to rescue him. He turned down the car, boat, and helicopter that tried to rescue him. In heaven, he demanded to see God and know why God had not rescued him. God's response was, "I sent you a car, a boat, and a helicopter. What more do you want?" Sometimes my focus on what I expect rescue by God to look like makes me miss the rescue in front of me.

4. perseverance The thing I am not praying for 'cause sometimes I'd just rather quit. But, truth be told, I'm too responsible to let others down and too competitive to quit. So until my body forces me to stop, I keep going. And in those times when life has slammed me hard, there has been a great cloud of witnesses to help me put one foot in front of the other.

5. divided Not multiplied

(Each of these appears in one of the readings from this Sunday's lectionary.)

No comments:

Site Meter