Tuesday, April 03, 2007

spring break and Holy Week

The calendar for school year 2007-2008 has been released by the local school board. Due to an early Easter in 2008, Spring Break is scheduled for Holy Week. The ministerial group is writing letters and encouraging others to write letters requesting that the schedule be changed for 2008. They are concerned that Spring Break vacations will lead to lower attendance during Holy Week services and Easter Sunday.

The Spring Break week is the same week in the month that it has been for the last two years, if not more. I'm wondering how many times Holy Week has fallen on someone else's holy days. I don't always pay attention to the beginning of Passover or the Orthodox Christian Holy Week and I'm clueless when it comes to other religions.

So, on the one hand, I agree with the letter writing and, on the other hand, I'm wondering if we are being shortsighted somehow.

No comments:

Site Meter